We are currently searching for a Staff Accountant to join our Accounting and Auditing Department.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Staff Accountant is responsible for a broad range of accounting functions – audits, reviews, compilations, tax, bookkeeping and reviews – requiring strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to capably perform the functions of a staff accountant and take on certain more complex tasks. Given a wide variety of diversified accounting and tax assignments under the supervision of different professionals. Performance is judged based on the quality of work, application of accounting knowledge and ability to meet time constraints.
- Records transactions in general ledgers, prepares trial balances and simple financial statements using accounting software applications and packages.
- Reconciles accounts to control accounts.
- Calculates and prepares schedules for various work paper, including debt and accruals. Analyzes fixed asset activity and calculates depreciation expense.
- Performs audit or review procedures as assigned by supervisors.
- Prepares corporate personal payroll, sales or other tax returns.
- Assists in proofing financial statements and other documents.
- Performs other accounting, auditing and tax duties as needed on engagements and as assigned by supervisory personnel.
- Uses technology to continually learn, shares knowledge with team members, and enhances service delivery.
- Maintains an educational program to continually develop skills.
- Performs special projects as required.
Education & Experience Required:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting, and/or an undergraduate or graduate degree with sufficient course work in accounting to achieve the 150 hour requirement.
- Either hold a current and valid CPA license, or be working toward obtaining the license by taking and passing the applicable state CPA examination.
- 0-2 years of experience working for a public accounting firm, or related business/industry experience to meet special needs.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products – Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
- Accounting software knowledge in QuickBooks, Peachtree,
- Well-rounded knowledge of accounting principles and personal income taxes.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Dedication to teamwork.
- Integrity within a professional environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
- May be given senior level responsibilities of planning and scheduling engagements
- May be required to perform all phases of an engagement including financial statement and tax return preparation.
- May supervise other staff accountants.
- Such other duties as may be assigned.
- Frequent same day travel for work at client’s offices, meetings and seminars using a personal vehicle.
- Occasional out-of-town travel with overnight stay for work at clients, meetings or seminars using personal vehicle.
- Occasional overtime work required throughout the year. Heavy overtime work required from January to April 15; may be in excess of 55 hours per week