Summary of Responsibilities:
The Senior Staff Accountant develops and maintains productive working relationships with client personnel and continually assesses clients’ satisfaction. Performs most work assigned with minimal assistance. Often leads one or more staff assistants, instructs them in work to be performed, reviews the work done and directs necessary revisions. Senior Staff Accountant is expected to have a strong understanding of Skoda Minotti’s service offerings and make decisions on all but the most unusual accounting and auditing matters. Actively seeks/encourages team members to contribute ideas and identify opportunities to apply the Firm’s services.
- Performs diversified tax assignments under the direction of supervisor, manager or Partner.
- Demonstrates competency in technical skills, work quality and application of professional and Firm standards.
- Meets time constraints and client deadlines.
- Participates in planning and scheduling client engagements.
- Directs and instructs staff interns and paraprofessionals, where applicable, in work to be performed.
- Prepares advanced tax returns and returns on dissolutions or liquidation.
- Suggests client tax planning ideas to supervisor, manager or Partner.
- Prepares routine correspondence to client for approval and signature of a Partner; writes comments for management letters.
- Drafts reports including footnotes.
- Performs the broadest range of tasks so that direct participation of supervisors, managers or Partners is kept to a minimum.
- Proactively maintains contact with the client throughout the year.
- Informs supervisors of the engagement status, and oversees staff performance.
- Develops junior staff through effectively delegating tasks supervising and providing guidance.
- Provides performance feedback and training and conducts job evaluations.
- Fosters an efficient, innovative, and team-oriented work environment.
- Contributes ideas/opinions to the client teams and others and listens/responds to other team members’ views.
- Uses technology to continually learn, shares knowledge with team members, and enhances service delivery.
- Maintains an educational program to continually develop skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Required:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting, and/or an undergraduate or graduate degree with sufficient course work to achieve CPA certification upon passing the examination.
- Either hold a current and valid CPA license (in good standing), or be working toward obtaining the license by taking and passing the applicable state CPA examination.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in public accounting firm, demonstrating a progression in complexity of tax work and knowledge.
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office products – Word, Excel, Access and Outlook & Tax software packages.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Dedication to teamwork and leadership.
- Strong project management skills.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Integrity within a professional environment.
- Advanced understanding of complex tax concepts and application to client situations.
- Prepares other reports and performs projects and duties as may be assigned.
- Frequent same day travel for work at client’s offices, meetings and seminars using a personal vehicle.
- Occasional out-of-town travel with overnight stay for work at clients, meetings or seminars using personal vehicle.
- Occasional overtime work required throughout the year. Heavy overtime work required from January to April 15; may be in excess of 55 hours per week.