We are currently searching for a State & Local Tax Manger to join our Tax Department.
The Tax Manager is responsible for the efficient and accurate, complete and timely preparation of all clients’ tax returns, primarily in the State & Local Tax Consulting practice, with a strong focus on income tax. Assists Partner, Principal and/or Senior Manager in making decisions on tax situations. Responsible for tax compliance, tax consulting, project/task management and engagement management. Develops a thorough understanding of all tax, audit and consulting services provided by the firm, links this understanding to potential client needs and identifies opportunities to expand the scope of current engagements through identification of client needs and requirements. Develops long-term relationships and networks both internally and externally.
- Assumes full responsibility for larger tax returns and delegates to the various tax preparers as deemed necessary.
- Participates actively in client meetings and tax planning efforts to assist the Auditing & Accounting department with larger clients.
- Acts as a resource for tax preparers/specialists and A&A staff on specific tax issues and/or questions.
- Delegates and manages governmental tax examinations; may represent the client before the appropriate tax authorities.
- Assumes responsibility for smooth flow of tax returns through the tax preparation system to ensure accurate, complete and timely preparation and delivery of all clients’ tax returns.
- Identifies opportunities to expand the scope of current engagements through identification of client needs and requirements.
- Work with leadership in the group to identify sophisticated SALT planning strategies designed to reduce the overall SALT effective tax rate for current and potential clients
- Performs technical tax review and approval of all tax returns and governmental tax examinations of any complexity.
- Researches tax issues and filing requirements that affect tax compliance.
- Conduct various nexus studies for both state income tax and sales/use tax for clients.
- Researches complex tax issues and performs tax structuring and modeling.
- Communicates to the appropriate Firm personnel important tax developments affecting the Firm’s clients.
- Works with Partners, Principals and Senior Managers to develop practical and effective tax strategies for clients.
- Makes effective use of firm resources to complete a project and manage multiple client projects
- Assumes client service responsibility for clients the tax manager works directly with or clients where the responsibility is delegated from the Partner, Principal and/or Senior Manager.
- Develops a professional relationship with the client and serves as the main point-of-contact to the client and ensures that the client is fully informed of engagement progress.
- Maintains a familiarity with qualifications of all tax staff members; reviews staff assignments for appropriateness.
- Supervises tax staff and provides on-the-job training.
- Works to develop responsible, trained staff by assisting recruiting, performance evaluations, developing training aids and acting as an instructor in professional development programs.
Education & Experience Required:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting and/or other appropriate academic major required. Master’s degree in Taxation or equivalent experience.
- Current and valid CPA license or JD required.
- Member in good standing with AICPA required.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products as well as tax preparation, compliance & research software.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in public accounting, demonstrating a proven progression in federal and state and local tax return complexity, scope and research. Strong technical knowledge of income tax compliance.
- At least two years of experience representing clients before taxing authorities.
- At least one year of experience supervising and directing the work of others
- Excellent project management, tax research and writing skills.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Dedication to teamwork and leadership.
- Advanced technical skills in a variety of tax and accounting areas, along with well-developed and applied management and supervisory skills are required.
- Integrity within a professional environment.
- Prepares other reports and projects as requested.
- Researches and evaluates tax preparation and tax research software for recommendation to Partners.
- Participates in the Firm’s practice development efforts through involvement with referral sources, community and industry activities.
- Frequent same day travel for work at client’s offices, meetings and seminars using a personal vehicle.
- Occasional out-of-town travel with overnight stay for work at clients, meetings or seminars using personal vehicle.
- Occasional overtime work required throughout the year. Heavy overtime work required from January to April 15; may be in excess of 55 hours per week.