Not-For-Profit / Nonprofit Industry Accounting Expertise
Our team delivers on the promise of generating insightful and constructive direction by leveraging your existing accounting work to determine the most prudent course of action for your organization or governmental entity.
Our Cleveland and Akron Not-for-Profit Industry Group is uniquely positioned to serve your unique entity. Locally, we have significant experience dealing with a wide range of not-for-profit clients. On a national level, we are a member of the BDO Seidman Alliance. Jointly, we provide services to more than 2,000 entities in the not-for-profit or governmental sectors nationally.
BDO Seidman’s Institute for Nonprofit Excellence is led by Richard Larkin (Chairman of the AICPA Not-for-Profit Audit Task Force). The Institute specializes in meeting the needs of those in these sectors. The Institute supports and collaborates with Skoda Minotti and other member firms to develop innovative and practical accounting, operational and tax solutions for the not-for-profit, governmental and health care organizations as well as business associations they serve.
The Institute also serves as a resource, studying and disseminating information pertaining to not-for-profit accounting and governmental accounting and business management. Through the Institute, we give our clients access to numerous publications, including a timely electronic newsletter, focused on your distinct not-for-profit needs.
In addition to our significant experience working with not-for-profit and governmental clients, our professional staff is engaged in a variety of community, professional and academic activities that facilitates our continuing development. Our professionals are involved with numerous not-for-profit boards throughout the community. Our firm is a currently the only four-time winner of Smart Business Cleveland’s Pillar Award for Community Services.
Our Cleveland, Akron and Tampa Not-for-Profit services include:
• A-128 and A-133 financial statement audits
• Assistance with and review of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
• Strategic planning and organizational development
• Structuring of complex multi-entity organizations
• Budget preparation and training of client staff in preparing budgets
• Computer installation and design of custom systems
• Development of accounting and compliance manuals
• Program, contract and financial compliance reviews and reporting to federal, state and city funding sources
• Compliance reviews of fundraising reporting and allocation procedures
• Preparation of exemption applications and change in status requests
• Charities’ registration and related forms
• Advice on lobbying, political activity, gift acknowledgements and other complex IRS rules for nonprofits
• Timely updates on issues affecting not-for-profit organizations
• Mock tax audits and other tax compliance reviews
• Tailored workshops and presentations
• A-133 compliance audits
• Outsourced financial services
• Cost allocation plans
• Agreed upon procedures
• Grant audits
• Grant close-out audits
• Form 990 preparation
• SOX testing
For more information on our not-for-profit professional services and governmental professional services, please contact